Friday, October 11, 2013

THE 1980's SONGS BY JOE BUSH

I've never been a particularly big fan of the 1980's when it comes to music, but there's stuff that I really like that I know I shouldn't. So let's start here

WHAT IS MY FAVORITE SONG OF THE 1980'S?
In terms of all music, there are a number of songs that could fit there. Here are a few:
Dead Milkmen -
PIXIES - Mr. Grieves
Moby - Ah Ah

I even feel a little guilty about that last one but I don't really care. I like all three of those songs. However, none of them were popular for the most part. What I'm not proud of is what I like from the popular stuff.
What I like from the popular stuff:
T'Pau - Heart and Soul
I really love this song's chorus, and I absolutely love it when the song hits it's climax at around 2:48 or so. Very emotional but still listenable as hell, and I absolutely love hearing it whenever it comes on. Barely ashamed of this one, honestly, along with the next one
THE NEXT ONE:
Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
FIRST: My parents saw this band at the student union at the University of Kansas back in the early 1980's. They will tell you this.
SECOND: This baseline and the percussion bit throughout the song is great, that whole trumpet sample works really well, that whole thing where you take the words to the chorus and kinda mess with 'em ("b-b-baby, I-I-I can't wait") that kills me every time and they do it really well. Also that background sample that they build most of the song upon is great as well.

Tom Tom Club - Genius Of Love
So this song is also excellent. I don't know why I like it as much as I do, honestly. It's very danceable, and it doesn't have much of the sweeping emotional stuff that I like in some of the songs on this list, but I'll always stay around to listen for the whole thing whenever it comes on.

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
I don't feel any shame about this at all actually

Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over
Haha no I actually feel quite a bit of shame for liking this. I shouldn't like it because it sorta drones and it has that kinda slow-sad synth solo, but I can't control my brain.

A-ha - Take On Me
Welp

Midnight Oil - Beds Are Burning
At some point last year this became a joke between me and a friend due to a conversation that I remember absolutely nothing about driving in my car back to his house from high school. I'm not even a huge fan of this song but it's strangely compelling and I can laugh at it and still enjoy it, right?

But honestly, seriously, my favorite popular song of the 1980's is this:
Oh god why. I wasn't born until 5 years after the '80s was over (and man, my '90s list is much worse than this) and I won't listen to anyone who tells me this is anything less than an incredibly moving work of music. There area  few songs that I specifically steer away from when driving because I have a tendency to shut my eyes really hard when crying and that's not good for driving. I can name like eight off the top of my head and this is absolutely one. I love anything that can move me like that because it's too goddamn good.

But that's it. For fun bonus points, try to guess the titles of those other seven songs.

No comments: