Tuesday, November 5, 2013

GAMEDAY UPDATE: 11/5/13: ABOUT THAT EIGHTIES SONGS ARTICLE

So I may have glanced over a few things during that thing I wrote about my favorite 1980's music. But I have a chance now to redeem myself tonight.

Sheila E. - The Glamorous Life

I sort of forgot about how much I liked this one until I randomly heard it probably at a Vintage Stock or somewhere. I didn't recognize it at first, actually, and I had to use Shazam on my cell phone in order to figure out what song it actually was. But yes, of course, I absolutely adore this song. The beat's great, the chorus is memorable as hell.

Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
Oh, shit, this song is from the '80s? I had no idea until I looked it up a couple of days ago, actually. It's from around the fringe era between the '80s and '90s, (1988) and it totally sounds that way. But my history with "Buffalo Stance" goes very far back. A local radio station used to play it periodically back around 2008-10 or so. I was always attracted to the guitar motive within the chorus, mainly. It seemed so odd to me that they decided to make such a bold transition. I never actually knew the title of the song for a really long time, just the general groove, really. I would (and this is serious, happened a couple of times in 2012) look up general "BEST 90'S DANCE SONGS" videos on YouTube, and I never had any luck. Eventually, I stumbled upon it through another song (to be honest, I think it was Technotronic's "Pump Up The Jam" actually). But yeah, somehow, I do really like this song for some reason. Probably actually my favorite pop song of the 1980's if we're keeping score. Sorry, Miss Cherry, for thinking this was another era, but what can you do?

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen
And how could I miss this one

No comments: